Light and fruit-forward, this Blueberry Watermelon Vodka Smash is easy and packed with flavor! Fresh watermelon paired with blueberries and thyme for the best tasting watermelon vodka cocktail. This watermelon vodka punch is the best to make for a crowd!
A Watermelon Vodka Cocktail is the best! It’s fresh, fruity and light. That then combined with the sweetness of blueberries and the herbaceousness of thyme? An amazing combo!
This cocktail recipe is one of Elise Tries to Cook’s oldest! Over time, it has been refined to use less sugar. You will particularly enjoy this drink if you go for the sweeter, lighter cocktails. I love cocktails using real fruits, like my Spiked Vodka Lemonade with Kiwi or Blackberry & Rosemary Margaritas.
If you, like me, love the idea of a cocktail that is pretty much a mixture of fruit + liquor + herbs, you would also like my Strawberry-Basil Vodka Cocktail.
The first time I made this watermelon vodka cocktail, I had what felt like 1000 pounds of fresh watermelon. I jumped on the watermelon arugula salad train and ended up with containers full of fresh cubed watermelon! My dad happened to send a watermelon margarita recipe to me, and I decided to make a vodka cocktail with it.
Highlights of this Recipe
This recipe is:
- Crowd Pleaser
- Fruity and Delicious
- Balanced in Flavor
What is a Vodka Smash?
A vodka smash is a vodka-based version of a smash cocktail.
A smash cocktail has:
- Any spirit as a base
- Fruit that is in season
- Herbs (with a preference for mint)
No matter the spirit, fruit or herb, a smash cocktail must be poured over ice and taste refreshing and delicious! Here are a few other smash recipes to try:
Ingredients & Substitutions
- Vodka - Choose a good quality vodka. My go-to is Tito’s Vodka or Western Son Vodka. Substitute for your favorite alcohol with a preference for gin or white rum.
- Fresh Watermelon - Substitute for pre-made watermelon juice, but then this watermelon vodka recipe will be probably sweeter.
- Fresh Blueberries - Substitute for strawberry, blackberry, raspberry, or cherry.
- Lime Juice - Substitute for lemon juice.
- Thyme - Substitute for herbs like mint or basil!
- Honey - The honey makes this watermelon vodka punch have a sweet and simple taste. Substitute for simple syrup, agave syrup, or omit.
TIP! When looking for a ripe watermelon, tap on the whole watermelon. If it sounds hollow, it is ripe!
STEP ONE: Make the watermelon juice by blending cubed watermelon in the blender. Strain from the pulp and leave to the side.
STEP TWO: Muddle the blueberries, thyme and honey in the bottom of a large pitcher.
STEP THREE: Add the lime juice, vodka, and fresh watermelon juice to the pitcher.
STEP FOUR: Keep the watermelon vodka punch in the fridge to cool for at least 20-minutes.
STEP FIVE: Garnish with fresh blueberries and thyme.
Want to make a variation of this Cocktail?
- Use gin, tequila, bourbon or whiskey.
- Use whatever favorite fruit and herbs you have.
- Top off with champagne or prosecco.
- Make it a mocktail: substitute vodka for non-alcoholic vodka or soda water/sparkling water.
Cocktail Equipment Needed
- Budget Friendly: Use the bottom of a clean cooking spoon!
- Convenience Friendly: Buy a small muddler in either wood or steel.
- What can you use as a muddler? If you don’t have a muddler, use the bottom of a large wooden spoon.
What Type of Glass to Use
The Lowball or Old Fashioned glasses are shorter and are for almost every drink. Lowball glasses are a classic option and can also use them for neat drinks (without ice), or on the rocks (with an ice cube). I got these and the matching pitcher from Crate & Barrel!
Other Cocktails You May Also Like
- Strawberry Basil Vodka Cocktail
- Sage-Infused Bee's Knees Cocktail
- Spiked Vodka Lemonade with Kiwi
- the Best Mexican Mule (aka Tequila Mule)
Watermelon & Blueberry Vodka Smash
- 1.5 Cups Vodka
- 8 Cups Fresh Cubed Watermelon (about ½ watermelon; 4 cups fresh watermelon juice)
- ¼ Cup Lime Juice (about 3 limes)
- ¼ Cup Honey (or agave syrup or simple syrup)
- ½ Cup Thyme Leaves washed thoroughly
- ½ Cup Fresh Blueberries washed thoroughly
- Blend cubed watermelon in blender. Keep to the side.
- Add blueberries, honey and thyme leaves into a large pitcher. Lightly muddle the blueberries and thyme leaves to release the juices and oils.
- Strain watermelon juice into the pitcher. Make sure to press on the pulp to get extra watermelon juice. Discard any remaining pulp.
- Pour the lime juice into the pitcher and add the vodka. Stir.
- Put the watermelon blueberry vodka smash into the fridge for about 20-minutes so the flavors have time to mix and the liquid gets cool.
- Serve into glasses over ice, and top with thyme leaves and/or blueberries.
I tried this for my ladies night and it was a hit! I used Tropicana watermelon juice since my juicer broke.