Because I’m not going out to bars for a drink with friends and/or co-workers, I find that I’m trying to branch out with different cocktails. No matter what I make, I always want it to be: light, flavorful and refreshing! I don’t like cocktails that taste strong, and I always find gin cocktails to be that way, so I hesitate trying them. I am so glad I heard about this Bee’s Knees Cocktail so that I could attempt to make one for myself. Definitely recommend!
I should note that if you are contemplating using regular simple syrup instead of the “hassle” of making one yourself – YOU MUST MAKE THE HONEY SIMPLE SYRUP. It literally changes the flavor of this Bee’s Knees Cocktail 100% … and this honey simple syrup is so good that I wished I made it in bulk for any gin, bourbon, .. or really any liquor at all TBH, cocktail out there! It’s entirely worth the process and takes this cocktail to a whole another level, I promise!
This cocktail is the perfect one for every season. I first made it in the Summer, but for the Fall/Winter I wanted to add some herbs for a depth of flavor. For a different light and refreshing cocktail idea for the Summer, try my Strawberry-Basil Vodka Cocktail! You could also try that with gin if that’s your go-to! Spruce Eats also suggests 11 Essential Gin Cocktails You Must Try.
Honey Simple Syrup
½ Cup Honey
½ Cup Water
Bee’s Knees Cocktail
2 Oz. Gin
2 TBSP Orange Juice
2 TBSP Lemon Juice (about ½ of a lemon)
Honey Simple Syrup
- Bring honey and water to a simmer in a small pot.
- Simmer until the mixture is smooth and combined.
- Set aside to cool completely. (To rush the process I poured the simple syrup into a measuring cup and moved it into the fridge. However, for best results set aside on the countertop).
- If adding Sage, add after you set the pot to the side.
Sage Bee’s Knees Cocktail
- Add 2 Oz. honey simple syrup to your cocktail shaker with the gin, lemon juice, orange juice, and ice.
- Shake, shake, shake. (Your hands should almost be too cold to shake anymore, that’s how you know it’s ready!)
- Pour into the cup (no ice) through a strainer. (For extra points, chill your glass in advance!)
- Top with a sage leaf.