The healthier, refined sugar free version of a Starbuck's Pumpkin Chai Latte is dairy free and delicious. In minutes you’ll have your own oat milk latte with the sweetness of pumpkin and the spice of chai.
This dairy free Pumpkin Chai Latte is the best combination of two favorite flavors: pumpkin and chai. Chai is a combination of spices like ginger, star anise, cinnamon and cloves. Mixed with the pumpkin, this latte is Fall in a cup!
I’ve been on a pumpkin binge lately. Between Pumpkin Pancakes, Pumpkin Muffins and this?! I might be pumpkin’ed out soon! A pumpkin chai tea latte is the perfect fall drink.
Looking for more pumpkin recipes:
- Pumpkin Protein Pancakes (Gluten Free, Dairy Free)
- Pumpkin Cinnamon Crunch Bagels (Vegan)
- Pumpkin Edible Cookie Dough (Vegan)
Highlights of this Recipe
This recipe is:
- Warming + Cozy
- Dairy Free
What is Chai?
In India, where masala chai is from, chai literally translates to “tea” in Hindi. The traditional chai from India is made from black tea with milk, sugar and some spices (typically ginger, star anise, cinnamon and cloves).
There are many regional varieties and family recipes for chai, each which uses their own blend of spices. My favorite combination actually adds a pinch of black pepper to add heat and a unique savory taste to the chai spice.
Ingredients & Substitutions
- Canned Pumpkin Puree - Stick to clean labels that list only pumpkin. You do not need organic pumpkin for this muffin recipe, but feel free to use if preferred and affordable. You can also make your own pumpkin puree by roasting a pumpkin and blending.
- Chai Tea Bag - Use any kind of chai tea bag or loose leaf chai. You can also substitute for a chai spice blend.
- Pumpkin Spice Mix - Read below for a homemade version if you can’t find it in the store!
- Oat Milk - See below for notes on cleanest oat milk brands and how to choose.
- Sweetener - Use maple syrup, honey or coconut sugar.
Make your own Pumpkin Spice Mix
What’s a pumpkin recipe without some pumpkin pie spice?! If you can’t find pumpkin pie spice, you can make your own pumpkin spice mix for this chai latte.
1 Teaspoon Pumpkin Spice =
½ Teaspoon Ground Cinnamon
¼ Teaspoon Ground Ginger
⅛ Teaspoon Ground Nutmeg
⅛ Teaspoon Ground Cloves
Chai Tea Bag vs. Chai Loose Leaf vs. Chai Spice
This latte recipe uses a chai tea bag instead of chai spice blend. Using a tea bag is easier than loose leaf tea and much easier than having multiple spices around. However, any of the above options will work in this recipe.
Make sure that loose leaf tea is in a tea infuser.
Oat Milk in Lattes
Oat milk is typically thought of as the closest dairy milk option for lattes. Baristas often compare oat milk as being creamy and having a great ability to froth.
Barista versions of milks (there’s oat, hemp, soy, almond, macadamia, and more!) have popped up recently. This version has higher fat content and a few added ingredients so that it froths better and creamier.
An article on Tenderly outlines a summary of nine different non-dairy barista blends. The favorites from baristas are Oatly Barista Oat and Califia Barista Oat. My favorite clean brand for barista oat blends is Elmhurst. Their Oat Barista Blend is great!
Clean Oat Milk Brands
So, what is the cleanest oat milk brand? There are quite a few clean oat milks out there. Look for oat milks that have:
- Few ingredients (think: oats, water and salt - the fewer the better)
- No gums (like xanthan gum)
- No oils (like canola oil, rapeseed oil)
- Glyphosate* free oats or organic oats or gluten free oats
*Glyphosate (an ingredient in pesticides that is toxic to plants) is found in non-organic ingredients. Wheats and grains can have higher levels of glyphosate and are better if purchased as glyphosate free, organic or gluten free.
Is Oat Milk Gluten Free?
Oats are not intrinsically gluten free.
Oat milk can be sometimes contaminated with gluten as they are processed in facilities with gluten. If you are celiac or have a stronger gluten intolerance, look for gluten-free certified oats.
Look for glyphosate free oats or gluten-free certified oats.
STEP ONE: Add oat milk, pumpkin puree, maple syrup and pumpkin pie spice into a small pot.
STEP TWO: Turn off heat once warm, and add chai bags. Allow flavor to steep for 5-10 minutes.
STEP THREE: Remove tea bag and froth.
STEP FOUR: Top with coconut whipped cream, pumpkin pie spice and/or star anise.
Toppings for a Pumpkin Latte
You can drink your pumpkin spice chai latte plain, or add an interesting topping to add interest!
- Coconut whipped cream (Dairy-Free/Vegan) or whipped cream
- Sprinkle of pumpkin pie spice
- Fresh grated nutmeg
- Cinnamon stick or dusting of ground cinnamon
- Star anise
Frequently Asked Questions
Chai tea does traditionally have caffeine.
Yes! Pour the latte into a sauce pan. Heat on low and stir frequently for a few minutes. Once the latte is at the desired temperature, pour the latte into your mug!
Yes! A Pumpkin Spice Latte is made with coffee, while a Pumpkin Chai Latte is made with tea.
Substitute the oat milk for almond milk or other nut milk.
Starbucks uses 1) chai concentrate, which is high in sugar (added sugar) and 2) a Pumpkin Spice Flavoured Sauce, where the first ingredients are sugar and condensed skim milk. Not only is that not gluten-free friendly, but I typically don’t like using products that contain sugar as the first ingredient, let alone refined sugar.
If you add coffee to this pumpkin latte, that is completely fine. That will make this drink a pumpkin dirty chai.
More Latte Recipes
- Rose Tea Latte
- Earl Grey Tea Latte
- Creamy Oat Milk Hot Chocolate
- Iced Oat Latte
- Maple Cinnamon Vanilla Latte
- Iced White Chocolate Mocha Latte
Oat Milk Pumpkin Chai Latte
- 1.5 cup oat milk
- 3 tablespoons pumpkin puree
- 1 teaspoon maple syrup
- ½ teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
- 1 chai tea bag
- coconut whipped cream optional
- Add oat milk, pumpkin puree, maple syrup and pumpkin pie spice into a small pot. Stir well to combine.
- Heat on low-heat for 5-minutes, until hot.
- Turn off heat and add chai tea bags. Let tea bags sit in pot for 5-10 minutes, to allow flavor to steep.
- Remove tea bag and either pour into frother to froth, or froth directly in pot. (optional)
- Pour into mug.
- Top with whipped coconut cream. (optional)
- Sprinkle with a dusting of cinnamon and add a star anise. (optional)
No gums (like xanthan gum)
No oils (like canola oil, rapeseed oil)
Glyphosate* free oats or organic oats or gluten free oats 1 Teaspoon Pumpkin Spice = ½ Teaspoon Ground Cinnamon + ¼ Teaspoon Ground Ginger + ⅛ Teaspoon Ground Nutmeg + ⅛ Teaspoon Ground Cloves