This post may contain affiliate links. I earn a commission on these links at no cost to you.
Bubbly, refreshing and light ginger beer cocktail! This Mexican Mule (aka a Tequila Mule) is the easiest tequila drink you need to make year-round. And only three ingredients!
A Mexican Mule is three easy ingredients: ginger beer, tequila and lime juice. The best part about a Moscow Mule is that they don’t need any additional simple syrup, making it a lighter drink. It’s a simple cocktail that tastes even better with tequila!
You will particularly enjoy this drink if you go for tequila cocktails or ginger beer cocktails. I’m a huge fan of Moscow Mules, and for some reason with tequila this ginger beer drink is even better. Dare I say that?! I love different variations of Moscow mules and plenty of tequila drinks like my Cherry Moscow Mule, Fall Spice Pineapple Moscow Mule or the Best Ranch Water Cocktail.
Highlights of this Mexican Mule Recipe
This recipe is:
- 3 Ingredients
- No Equipment
- No Simple Syrup
What is a Mexican Mule?
A Mexican Mule is another name for a variation of the classic Moscow Mule but with tequila instead of the traditional vodka. It includes: tequila, ginger beer and lime. It makes for a delicious combination and refreshing cocktail!
A traditional Moscow Mule was invented in the 1940’s by a couple and friend who wanted to promote their businesses: copper, vodka and ginger beer. It became popular as we know it! So much so, that it has an official definition in the International Bartender Association’s IBA official cocktails.
Ingredients & Substitutions
- Tequila. Use your favorite tequila blanco or reposado. I prefer using a blanco tequila and recommend purchasing one that is medium-quality.
- Ginger Beer. Bubbly, zingy and spicy! Don’t substitute for Ginger Ale as that is too sweet.
- Fresh Lime Juice. This Mexican Moscow mule drink doesn’t have many ingredients - I suggest going with freshly squeezed lime juice on this one!
TIP! A great thing about this mixed drink is that the ginger beer is sweet enough to not need syrup. If you DO need something sweeter, add .5 OZ of agave syrup or simple syrup.
STEP ONE: Squeeze fresh limes.
STEP TWO: Add fresh lime juice and tequila to a copper mug filled with ice cubes.
STEP THREE: Top with ginger beer and serve immediately!
Want to make a variation of this Tequila Mule?
- Add mint leaves, basil or even cilantro!
- Use up fruit like mango, peaches, berries or pineapple.
- Add a splash of orange liqueur (like cointreau or triple sec) for a Ginger Beer Margarita!
- Muddle jalapeño in the bottom of your mug before continuing with the rest of the moscow mule recipe!
For this Mexican mule recipe, you don’t need any equipment. That’s the beauty of an easy cocktail like this one!
But, do I need those copper mugs?
A Moscow mule is often served in a tall copper mug. Is it required? Nope. You can use any highball glass, mug, or regular kitchen glass cup.
If you have the option though, a copper mug definitely has its perks. A copper mug keeps the ginger beer cocktail colder and more fun! They’re very much worth the price!
Tips, Tricks & Frequently Asked Questions
I like to use Fever Tree Ginger Beer or Regatta Craft Mixer’s Lite Ginger Beer. Any kind you can find in the store is perfectly fine!
A Moscow mule is therefore called because 1) Americans associated vodka with Russia 2) because the ginger beer added a kick of flavor, almost like how a mule kicks.
I wouldn’t suggest it as it is much sweeter. If you use ginger ale I recommend adding more lime juice to even out the sweetness.
Technically, you should use a cocktail shaker for any drink combining liquor with fruit juice, sugar, or anything similar. Then you’d top off the drink with that spicy ginger beer. However, most commonly Moscow mules are not often shaken so no need!
Other Tequila Cocktails You May Also Like
the Best Mexican Mule (aka Tequila Mule)
- 2 OZ Tequila
- 1 OZ Fresh Lime Juice (about 1 lime)
- 6 OZ Ginger Beer
- Pour tequila, fresh lime juice and ginger beer into a cup or copper mug filled with ice.
- Garnish with a lime slice or lime wheel and serve immediately.