This post may contain affiliate links. I earn a commission on these links at no cost to you.
Make this 3 ingredient Skinny Margarita with tequila and fresh juices for a refreshing cocktail! Skinny margaritas are a low-calorie drink option to the typical margarita. This recipe is perfect for a fun night in, Summer sipping, or celebrating Cinco de Mayo!
Something about living in Southern California that leans itself to margaritas year-round. Is it the palm trees, constant warm weather and ocean breeze?
The funny thing is, I prefer a skinny margarita over the traditional margarita. I’m never one to choose a drink based on calories, instead I prefer a skinny margarita because it’s more citrusy! No matter what kind of margarita I drink, the essential for me is a strong zesty taste of the fruit!
What is a Skinny Margarita?
A skinny margarita is a low-calorie version of the typical margarita.
A traditional margarita consists of fresh-squeezed lime juice, orange liqueur and tequila. Orange liquor can be cointreau, triple sec, or gran marnier. A skinny margarita replaces the orange liqueur with freshly squeezed orange juice.
Want to make a skinny margarita even lighter? Add some club soda to top it off!
Ingredients & Substitutions
- LIMES. Fresh limes are essential for a margarita. In the chance that you run out of limes, you can substitute for lemons, but the solution will be a tad sweeter.
- ORANGES. For a skinny margarita, you need fresh oranges. I used Navel Oranges, but you can feel free to use whatever kind you like most!
- TEQUILA. Tequila is a must have for a skinny margarita. I always recommend having a solid tequila option as a part of your essential bar! If you want to try a different smokier option, substitute for mezcal.
Pour the margarita salt onto the small plate. (I always like to add equal parts Tajín and margarita salt, but that’s not necessary!) Slice a small slit into the lime wedge halfway through. Place the slit in the lime wedge onto the rim of your margarita glass (before pouring the cocktail in). Slide the lime wedge around the rim in a circle to cover the entire glass. Dip the glass into the margarita salt on the plate, and turn the glass in a full circle to ensure the salt sticks. Place upright and continue with making the skinny margarita!
Steps to Make a 3 Ingredient Skinny Margarita
Making a skinny margarita is simple, five step process!
STEP ONE: Add ice into a cocktail shaker or mason jar.
STEP TWO: Squeeze an entire lime and orange into the cocktail shake or mason jar.
STEP THREE: Add 2 ounces of tequila.
STEP FOUR: Shake for 15-seconds, until frozen to touch.
STEP FIVE: Strain into an old-fashioned cup filled with ice. (I added the ice after!)
What to drink a skinny margarita with
Enjoy a skinny margarita alone, or assemble a Mexican-themed feast!
For more information on building an at-home bar cart and the basics to making drinks, check out this quick guide.
More Tequila Cocktails
- the Best Ranch Water Cocktail
- Frozen Blackberry Margaritas with Mint
- Blackberry & Rosemary Margaritas
- Red Sangria Margarita
3 Ingredient Skinny Margarita
- Cocktail Shaker
- 1 Lime halved
- 1 Orange
- 2 OZ Tequila
Salt-Tajín Rim (optional)
- Margarita Salt
- 1 Lime Wedge with a slice halfway
- If doing a salt rim, add prior to making cocktail.
- Squeeze both lime halves and the orange into a cocktail shaker with ice.
- Add the tequila.
- Shake for 15-seconds.
- Strain into a cup filled with ice.