This gluten-free enchilada casserole is my quick fix for making healthier weeknight meals. Combine enchilada sauce, sweet potatoes, kale, and beef chorizo for an easy, healthy weeknight meal. This meal is under 45-minutes and not only is a crowd-pleaser but a great way to hide veggies for kids!
This healthier enchilada casserole is gluten-free but keeps the essentials ingredients of your favorite enchilada recipe!
I LOVE enchiladas. Cheesy, crispy but soft, filling, flavorful bites of saucy meat, cheese and tortilla. It was my favorite dish my mom would make when I was in school. I now have the biggest problem: gluten-free tortillas ALWAYS BREAK. I could fry the tortillas but honestly who has time to fry them, roll them, fill them, etc.! I also don’t want to add the extra oil.
The solution? An enchilada casserole! It is two layers of: enchilada sauce, corn tortillas, healthier filling and cheese.
HOW TO MAKE A CHORIZO KALE & SWEET POTATO ENCHILADA CASSEROLE
The steps to this enchilada casserole are quite easy and take under 45-minutes!
FILLING: Cook beef chorizo with shredded kale and diced sweet potatoes. Allow the chorizo to season the vegetables. No oil here, only water!
BUILD THE CASSEROLE: Layer the tortillas, enchilada sauce, filling and cheese.
BAKE: Into the oven to bake!
TOPPINGS: Onto the best elements, the toppings! I always add limes, cilantro, and some guacamole goes a long way!
TIPS FOR MAKING A BEEF CHORIZO KALE & SWEET POTATO ENCHILADA CASSEROLE
- KALE. Use your favorite kind of kale. I prefer using curly kale! If you’re not a fan, swap for spinach! Always feel free to use more.
- BEEF CHORIZO. Can’t find un-cooked chorizo? You can use pre-cooked chorizo links. Follow the steps outlined, and break up the links into bite-sized pieces.
- TORTILLAS. I use corn tortillas because I prefer the taste (and they’re gluten-free), but you can use flour tortillas as well.
- ENCHILADA SAUCE. Buy your favorite enchilada sauce! I use red enchilada sauce, but if you’re all about that green enchilada sauce go for it!
- SHREDDED CHEESE. I use shredded cheddar cheese for this recipe. You can also use a Mexican-flavored shredded cheese, Pepper Jack, or other preference. For a dairy-free version, swap for dairy-free shredded cheese!
- SWEET POTATO. I love adding sweet potatoes for the filling. It gives extra mild sweet flavor to balance the spicier beef chorizo. You can use russet potatoes if you prefer.
- EXTRA VEG. Looking to add extra vegetables? Feel free to use diced bell peppers of any color, greens like spinach, or corn.
- EXTRA SPICE. Add jalapeño into the filling for extra heat!
Diet Substitutions for Gluten-Free Beef Chorizo, Kale & Sweet Potato Enchilada Casserole
- VEGAN. Looking for a vegan option? Omit the chorizo and swap for black beans (drained) and roast the potatoes instead. Stir in 1 TSP of taco seasoning or chili seasoning.
- DAIRY-FREE. Swap shredded cheese for dairy-free shredded cheese! Make sure to watch the cheese when broiling it as dairy-free cheese tends to not melt as well, but can burn.
- EXTRA GUAC. Make guacamole to top: 2 avocados, 2 limes (juiced), and garlic salt.
- LOW CARB. For a low-carb option, remove the sweet potatoes. Swap for extra veggies like bell peppers, spinach, or extra kale.