These homemade corn tortilla chips are baked to perfection in the oven and seasoned lightly with salt. Using only three ingredients, you’ll get deliciously crisp gluten free tortilla chips in under 20 minutes! You’ll never buy store-bought again!
From nachos to dunking in guacamole and salsa, there’s nothing better than fresh, homemade tortilla chips! Using corn tortillas not only results in Mexican restaurant-style chips, but also means these are gluten-free.
Why this recipe works
Homemade tortilla chips are not only so much better than store-bought (cheaper and more healthy) but also so easy and delicious!
- Baking these chips means using less oil.
- Great for parties and sharing (or eating all to yourself!).
- Ready in under 20 minutes.
- These tortilla chips are naturally gluten free!
The best thing about making your own tortilla chips is that they are extremely easy and only require three ingredients!
You can make your own corn tortillas, or purchase corn tortillas from the store (grain free tortillas or gluten-free flour tortillas would work too). Ensure that corn tortillas are still gluten-free as sometimes corn tortillas are made with a flour combination. You can use white, yellow or even blue corn tortillas.
Before you can bake these gluten free tortilla chips, preheat the oven to 350ºF. You can line a large baking sheet with parchment paper or aluminum foil, but not necessary. Regardless, spray the baking sheet (or on top of the lining) with avocado or other neutral oil spray.
Cut the tortillas
First, you’ll want to cut the tortillas. The first step is to stack all of the corn tortillas on top of one another.
Cut the tortilla stack in half, and then cut each half into three equal-sized pieces, resulting in six even triangles per tortilla.
Spread the tortilla pieces evenly along the baking sheet. Make sure to spread the pieces out with plenty space in between, so as to give enough room to become crispy. If this means doing multiple batches that’s fine!
Bake the tortilla chips for 8 minutes and then flip to the other side. Bake for an additional 7-9 minutes, or until lightly browned.
Cool, season and enjoy
Remove the baked tortilla chips from the oven and place on a paper towel on top of a plate or separate baking tray.
Next, season the chips with salt and let cool slightly! Serve with your favorite dip or salsa.
Besides eating these by the handful, homemade corn tortilla chips are great in a variety of meals. From nachos, in chilaquiles, with a healthy sandwich, or as a side to tacos.
Try eating tortilla chips with some delicious sauces, dips and salsas:
Stale > Fresh: Stale corn tortillas are best for making homemade tortilla chips. This is because the tortillas are already slightly on the drier, crispier side, resulting in deliciously crisp tortillas. If using more fresh and moist tortillas (you can tell because the tortillas will feel slightly more pliable and wet to touch) then you will have to bake for longer.
Air Fryer: Making these gluten free chips in the air fryer is completely doable! I have a whole recipe dedicated to how to make air fryer tortilla chips.
Storage directions: These chips taste freshest within 1-2 hours of baking them. Once chips are completely cooled, store in an airtight container or Ziploc bag. Store at room temperature for up to 3 days before getting stale. Once chips go stale, you can use them in chilaquiles!
Most store-bought tortilla chips are fried in oil, meaning a large percentage of their calories are from the oil. Restaurant-style chips are loaded with salt, meaning they can be really high in sodium.
Yes! You can use any type of tortilla to make chips. Closely watch the chips in the oven while baking to ensure they don't burn.
- Chili Lime Air Fryer Tortilla Chips
- Easy 4 Ingredient Guacamole
- Mango Habanero Salsa
- Creamy Vegan Avocado Lime Sauce
- Greek Roasted Eggplant Dip
If you try this recipe, don’t forget to rate the recipe and leave me a comment below so I know what you think! Follow Elise Tries to Cook on Facebook, Instagram, and Pinterest, and Subscribe via email to receive the latest recipes!
Corn Tortilla Chips (Gluten Free)
- 1 Baking Sheet
- 8 8-10" corn tortillas
- 2 teaspoons salt
- avocado oil spray
- Preheat oven to 350ºF.
- Lightly spray a large baking sheet with avocado or other neutral oil.avocado oil spray
- Arrange corn tortillas in a single pile on cutting board. Cut pile of tortillas first in half and then cut each half in three equal sized triangles, resulting in 6 small triangles each.8 8-10" corn tortillas
- Place tortilla pieces in a single layer on baking sheet with plenty room (better to do in batches than to overcrowd) and spray lightly over tortillas with avocado oil.
- Bake for 8 minutes and then flip pieces over.
- Bake for additional 7-9 minutes, or until chips are lightly browned.
- Remove from oven and place baked tortilla chips on paper towel on a baking sheet or plate, to cool. Season with salt.2 teaspoons salt
- If doing in batches, for following batches, bake for 8 minutes and then flip and bake for an additional 5-7 minutes. (It will take less time as baking sheet is already warmed)
- Enjoy once slightly cooled!
Leave a Reply