There’s nothing I hate more than a leafy greens smoothie that tastes, well, GREEN! It looks beautiful, but it tastes like pure Earth. This sour apple smoothie changes that. It’s sour from the green apple, and you can’t taste the spinach at all. It’s almost hard to believe it’s a green smoothie!
Smoothies are great as either a mid-afternoon snack, or as a lighter breakfast. They keep me full but use simple, fresh ingredients. For smoothie recipes like this one, I prefer only a few ingredients that pack huge flavor. For other simple, delicious juices and smoothies try Healthy Mango Pineapple Smoothie or Simple Pineapple Ginger Immunity Juice.
Highlights of this Recipe
This recipe is:
- 6 Ingredients
Ingredients & Substitutions
- Green Apples / Granny Smith Apple. Green apples bring a subtle sourness to this smoothie recipe. I highly recommend using green apples or the smoothie may taste sweeter. Substitute for your favorite apple variety.
- Frozen Pineapple. Substitute for your favorite frozen fruit: frozen bananas, frozen mangoes, frozen strawberries, etc.
- Spinach. Use fresh or frozen spinach, or even baby spinach. Substitute for kale or arugula.
- Maple Syrup. Substitute for honey or agave syrup.
- Lemon Juice. No substitution; the lemon juice helps balance out the sweetness.
- Plant-Based Milk. Use your favorite unsweetened dairy-free milk like coconut, almond or oat milk. Sweetened and flavored milks can be used, but it will make the smoothie sweeter. You can use dairy milk as well if not vegan or dairy-free, or use coconut water for a less creamy taste.
STEP ONE: Add all ingredients into the blender.
STEP TWO: Blend until smooth.
STEP THREE: Pour into glasses and eat immediately.
This green smoothie recipe only needs a blender!
Want to make a variation of this Sour Apple Smoothie?
- Smoothie Bowl: To thicken it up further like a smoothie bowl add Greek yogurt, avocado, or frozen cauliflower.
- Herbs: Add mint.
- Toppings: Top with shredded coconut flakes, flax seed, chia seed, or drizzle with nut butter (like almond butter).
- Protein: Add a scoop of protein powder or greek yogurt to make this a great post-workout bite.
- Greens: Add more kale or spinach to get more greens into this smoothie.
- More Fruit: Add strawberries or frozen bananas!
- Zing: Add fresh ginger into the smoothie for a spicy heat!
Frequently Asked Questions
Sure, why not?!
I highly suggest it. Otherwise your smoothie will be slightly more chunky and harder to eat.
For this green apple smoothie I do suggest green apples to balance out the flavors. However it’s entirely up to preference.
Yup! It doesn’t add much taste to this smoothie at all. You can also use frozen spinach or even kale.
Yes. Simply add all ingredients (except the milk) into an airtight lock bag, close it up and place in the freezer until ready to blend.
Absolutely! Use whatever greens are your favorite - arugula, kale or spinach!
Smoothies and Juices You May Also Like
Sour Green Apple Smoothie
- 1 Green Apple peeled and cored
- 1 Cup Frozen Pineapple
- ¼ Cup Milk of Choice like unsweetened almond, oat or coconut milk
- 1 TBSP Maple Syrup
- 1 Cup Fresh or Frozen Spinach
- ½ Lemon juiced
- Blend all ingredients in the blender until smooth. (About 30-60 seconds)
- Transfer to glasses.