I’ve made lots of soups with a vegetable stock base, like chicken noodle soup or tortellini soup, but I never usually make any kind of creamy vegetable soup. I made this roasted red pepper & tomato soup and added sausage with garlic bread croutons because DUH!! It’s dairy-free, creamy and super filling. It also could easily be eaten cold in the Summer as a gazpacho.
First I roast red peppers, Roma tomatoes, cherry tomatoes, and one sweet onion. I then peeled the skin off of the tomatoes and red peppers and blended the vegetables with water. Then the liquid simmers with some oat milk and pre-cooked sausage links. For the garlic bread croutons, I ripped two slices of old sourdough bread into small random pieces on a baking tray and then tossed with olive oil, garlic salt, dried basil and dried parsley. I baked the tray in the oven at 425ºF for ~5-minutes until crispy. Top the soup with these croutons for the best bite! (Or use them for salad or eat them plain, I won’t judge!)
YOU MAY ALSO LIKE
Ingredients (for 2-3 servings)
Roasted Red Pepper & Tomato Soup with Sausage
2 Red Peppers (cut in half with seeds and stem removed)
1 Yellow Onion (peeled and quartered)
3 Roma Tomatoes (cut in half)
6 OZ Cherry Tomatoes
3 Cups Water
½ Cup Oat Milk
4 Links Pre-Cooked Sausage (Pork or Chicken)
Red Pepper Flakes (optional)
Garlic Bread Croutons
2 Slices Sourdough Bread
1 TSP Garlic Salt
1 TSP Dried Parsley
1 TSP Dried Basil
Instructions for Roasted Red Pepper & Tomato Soup with Sausage
- Preheat the oven to 425ºF. Place the halved red peppers, halved Roma tomatoes, cherry tomatoes, and onions on aluminum foil on a 9×13-inch baking sheet. Toss with avocado oil and lightly season with salt and pepper.
- Roast the vegetables for about 30-minutes, or until the red peppers and tomatoes begin to char. While the vegetables roast, cut the pre-cooked sausage links into ½ in. coins and put to the side.
- Once you take the vegetables out of the oven, place the red peppers in a bowl and cover with a lid or place into a ziplock bag and close. Leave for ~10 minutes to steam.
- While the roasted red peppers steam, remove the skins of the Roma tomatoes with tongs (it should come right off).
- Place the Roma tomatoes, onions, and cherry tomatoes into the blender and leave it to the side to cool slightly (lid off).
- Once the roasted red peppers have steamed for 10-minutes, carefully remove them and peel the skin off. Add the roasted red peppers to the blender with the other vegetables.
- Blend the vegetables together carefully until smooth. NOTE: if the vegetables are still too hot it could cause the blender cap to explode off. A good way to avoid this is to leave an opening at the top of the blender and cover with a towel.
- Pour the blended mixture into a pot on the stove. On medium-heat, bring to a simmer, add the oat milk and stir. At this stage, I added 1 TSP of salt, 1 TSP of black pepper, and sprinkled 1 TSP red pepper flakes into the pan for an extra level of heat on top of the flavors of the soup.
- Add the sausage coins into the soup and simmer the soup for ~5 minutes.
- While the soup is simmering, rip the sourdough bread into random bite-sized pieces. Place on a baking tray and toss with olive oil, garlic salt, and dried herbs. Bake for ~5 minutes or until crisp but not browned.
- Portion the soup into two large bowls or three medium bowls. Add garlic bread croutons to the top of the bowls.
Want to change this Roasted Red Pepper & Tomato Soup with Sausage up?
- If you want to try a gazpacho like I definitely want to next, pour the soup into food containers and keep in the fridge for at least 2-hours up to overnight and then enjoy cold!
- Roast the vegetables with thyme and blend together.