This oven baked steak and arugula sandwich is like a baked grilled cheese. Thin sliced ribeye steak, light cheese and arugula sandwiched between toasted sourdough bread. This healthy grilled cheese sandwich is a great high protein sandwich for lunch or dinner (or snack time!).
This healthy grilled cheese recipe is a full meal in a sandwich. It takes under 30-minutes to pull together! If you love Panera, this steak grilled cheese recipe is like Panera’s Steak and Arugula Panini!
Not going to lie, but when I was in my early twenties I had my younger sister teach me how to make a grilled cheese. When she finally taught me, I was so excited! They’re so much fun to make and I love getting creative with them.
The main problem I have with grilled cheese is I never feel full after eating them. That became the inspiration for this steak and arugula version. It’s a full meal in one bite!
HOW TO MAKE A HEALTHY GRILLED CHEESE
Grilled cheese can be unhealthy because: it’s only cheese and bread and butter. My favorite eating habit is trying to make sure I have a vegetable in every meal I eat. In this healthy grilled cheese, there’s thin-sliced steak and arugula to keep you full for longer.
The next thing that makes this grilled cheese healthy is baking it. This makes it easier to make large quantities (hello dinner ready in 30-minutes!). It reduces the amount of butter you might need in the pan. It also makes it much easier to get both melted cheese and crispy bread!
HOW TO BAKE GRILLED CHEESE
Baking a grilled cheese is MUCH easier than in a pan. You prep all the ingredients in advance and assemble on a baking tray. Bake at high heat for only a few minutes and broil to crisp up the sourdough bread. Cut in half and devour! This high protein sandwich leaves you full – you don’t even need a side dish!
INGREDIENTS FOR THIS HEALTHY GRILLED CHEESE
- LIGHT WHITE CHEESE SLICES. I prefer using a lower calorie white cheese for this steak and arugula sandwich. I used lite havarti, but regular provolone, swiss or havarti are great choices. Also feel free to use your favorite cheese slices – all will taste great!
- RIBEYE STEAK. Sometimes I can find beef pre-cut and thinly shaved. Other times I can’t. I keep mine cold in the fridge to cut easier. Then when still cold I remove the fat and slice very thinly before cooking. The most important part is making sure it is thin as possible. This makes sure the steak doesn’t get stuck in your teeth – a pet peeve! You can also use flank steak as a substitute, or switch it up with deli meat or shredded chicken.
- ARUGULA. Peppery arugula is a great match for a steak grilled cheese. I love having greens in everything I eat and arugula is a personal favorite. Other options are: baby kale or spinach.
- SOURDOUGH BREAD. This is the best bread for a grilled cheese – it’s wider and can hold up to the ingredients. You can substitute for any favorite sandwich bread you have.
- DAIRY FREE. Swap cheese for dairy-free slices and use vegan butter.
- GLUTEN FREE. Swap sourdough for gluten-free sourdough or gluten free sandwich bread.
- LOADED UP. Want to load this steak and arugula sandwich even more? Add caramelized onions or shallots, or use a fig jam! You could also add dijon mustard or mayonnaise.
BEST BREAD FOR A GRILLED CHEESE
My favorite bread for grilled cheese is sourdough. It’s wide making it possible to stuff more into the sandwich, but also thin enough to crisp up.
WHAT TO SERVE WITH AN OVEN BAKED STEAK AND ARUGULA SANDWICH
The best part about this steak and arugula sandwich recipe is that it is filling! The high protein sandwich can be lunch or dinner without any sides. I am a huge eater, but I was able to have one without any sides and was full for hours!
If you do want a side dish to pair with this recipe, try: