Fresh, crunchy, and zingy! That's exactly how I love to eat salads. This healthier Brussels sprouts potato salad takes about 20-minutes and hits every mark. It’s the healthier vegan and gluten-free version of a mayo-less potato salad!
Make this healthy Brussels sprouts potato salad for gatherings or meal prep. This recipe is best to make in advance in order for the flavors to combine. You can make the dressing days ahead and the salad up to the day before!
WHAT IS IN A POTATO SALAD?
A classic potato salad has mayonnaise and eggs with potatoes. I am not a fan of mayonnaise and blasphemy I also don’t love salads with eggs. To replace mayonnaise, this healthier Brussels sprouts potato salad has a lighter dressing. The dill mustard dressing combines the ingredients and adds a bright zesty flavor.
HOW TO MAKE A HEALTHIER BRUSSELS SPROUTS POTATO SALAD
Making a healthier Brussels sprouts potato salad is quick and easy! It takes about 20-minutes to pull together this fresh and healthy potato salad.
PREPARE BRUSSELS SPROUTS
To prepare the Brussels sprouts for this salad, cut off the stems of each and then slice in half lengthwise. Then you will cook the Brussels sprouts in a pan on the stove until bright green and softened. Next, toss in the boiled potatoes and mix with the dill mustard dressing.
For this Healthier Brussels Sprouts Potato Salad, dice small potatoes, skins on. Then boil the diced potatoes until soft, about 15-minutes.
Make sure to dice the potatoes before boiling, otherwise they will be mushy.
BEST POTATOES FOR POTATO SALAD
Choose smaller potatoes. Red potatoes, baby dutch potatoes, new potatoes, or small gold potatoes are best. Any type of potato will do in the end, but smaller and waxier is preferred.
HOW LONG DO YOU BOIL POTATOES FOR A POTATO SALAD?
In a potato salad, boil the potatoes for only a short amount of time. This ensures they are softer and cooked, but not mushy. The best way to check the potatoes is to pierce a fork through them while in the pot to boil. It took me about 13-minutes for the fork to go through.
Start the water at cold and bring the potatoes up to a boil. Once it’s been 10-minutes since turning the stove top on, keep checking that the potatoes are fork tender. As soon as the fork can go through without too much work, take it off the heat and drain the water.
TIPS FOR A HEALTHIER BRUSSELS SPROUTS POTATO SALAD
- POTATOES - It’s best to choose smaller potatoes and keep the skins on for this potato salad. Slice the potatoes before boiling and dice them small enough to be the same size as the Brussels sprouts. Make sure to start the water at cold.
- BRUSSELS SPROUTS - Make sure to chop off the stems of Brussels sprouts, it helps the texture.
- DILL MUSTARD DRESSING - Use dill mustard dressing on this salad and plenty others. Combine dijon mustard, vinegar and dill for the perfect zesty dressing. You can even make the dill mustard dressing in advance!
SUBSTITUTES for a healthier Brussels sprouts potato salad
- Don’t like Brussels sprouts? Try kale, carrots, asparagus, or leeks.
- Limiting your potato-intake? Either reduce by half or cut completely and have a Brussels sprouts salad!