Quick, melty, perfectly cooked air fryer quesadilla. These quesadillas made in the air fryer are easy, taking only 3-minutes each with little-to-no clean up! Sprinkle with chili lime seasoning on top for the best quesadilla!
I love quesadillas so much. They are my go-to “cheat meal.” This lightened up version keeps the essential melty cheesiness and fresh tortilla. BUT I added a chili lime seasoning to spice it up!
Eating clean for the past five years, my favorite recipes were those that use simple, fresh ingredients. I’m a huge proponent of making easy dishes that don’t skimp out on taste. For lunch & dinner recipes like this one, I prefer only a few ingredients that pack a huge flavor. For other simple, delicious Mexican dishes try Carne Asada Quesadillas, The Best Sheet Pan Halloumi Fajitas or Vegan Cauliflower Tacos Al Pastor.
Highlights of this Recipe
This recipe is:
- Few Ingredients
Ingredients & Substitutions
- Corn or Flour Tortillas. Substitute for any grain free tortillas.
- Shredded Cheese. Dairy free or regular shredded cheese is great.
- Chili Powder. (optional)
- Salt. (optional)
- Lime Zest. (optional)
Substitute Tajin or Chili Lime Seasoning for homemade seasoning.
What Kind of Cheese to Use in a Quesadilla
Use any type of shredded cheese for a quesadilla. Whatever is your preference is typically the best bet. I prefer a Mexican blend or something that is cheddar and a white cheese.
For dairy free / vegan cheese: I highly recommend Chao Shredded Cheese, Vevan Shredded cheese, or Miyoko’s Vegan Pepper Jack Cheese. I haven’t tried Chao’s cheese, but found that Miyoko’s or Vevan's vegan cheese made for a great dairy free quesadilla!
Gluten Free. Make sure to use gluten-free corn tortillas or grain free tortillas.
Dairy Free. Substitute cheese for vegan shredded cheese.
Vegan. Substitute cheese for vegan shredded cheese. I highly recommend Chao Shredded Cheese, Vevan cheese, or Daiya Shredded Cheese.
Paleo / Whole30 Compliant. Substitute the cheese for dairy-free and use a grain free tortilla.
STEP ONE: Preheat your air fryer for 3 minutes.
STEP TWO: Spray neutral oil on one side of the corn tortilla. Place that tortilla oil side down in the air fryer.
STEP THREE: Add cheese.
STEP FOUR: Spray neutral oil on one side of the second corn tortilla. Place that tortilla oil side up on top of the cheese.
STEP FIVE: Skewer toothpicks evenly around the tortilla towards the edge. Add the air fryer rack upside down on top of the quesadilla.
STEP SIX: Air fry the quesadilla for 3-minutes for soft tortilla, or flip and air fry an additional 3-minutes for a crispier tortilla.
STEP SEVEN: Remove from the air fryer and repeat for additional quesadillas.
TIP! Air Fryers aren’t actually frying, they blow hot air on the food and will cook like a convection oven. Because of that, the shredded cheese in the quesadilla will most definitely blow all over the place and end up on the bottom or sides of the air fryer basket instead of the tortilla. Using toothpicks to secure the two tortillas and the cheese inside help a lot.
Air Fryer Tips & Tricks
- Make sure to preheat the air fryer to allow for the crispiest quesadillas! My Ninja Air Fryer suggests 3 minutes of preheating so that is what I typically do.
- Don’t overcrowd the air fryer. Do it in batches rather than overcrowd your air fryer.
- For a crunchier quesadilla, it’s best to flip halfway through the frying time. This helps make sure all sides are evenly crisped. You can use tongs or a spatula.
- Don’t skip out on the toothpicks or the air fryer rack. The toothpicks hold the cheese inside the two tortillas, and the rack helps prevent the quesadilla from flying around inside the air fryer.
Toppings for a Quesadilla
Some great quesadilla toppings ideas are:
- Avocado Lime Sauce
- Queso Fresco
- Pico de Gallo
- Sour Cream
- Fresh Cilantro
- Fresh Lime Juice
Frequently Asked Questions
If you don’t plan on eating the quesadilla right away, immediately place the cooked quesadillas into an airtight container or airtight ziplock bag. Place in the fridge and eat within 3-days.
You can always have a quesadilla plain, however it’s a great way to use any leftover meat, chicken, vegetables, or even greens like spinach and kale.
1) Preheat the air fryer at 350ºF for 3-minutes.
2) Air fry the quesadilla for 2-minutes at 350ºF for warm or 3-minutes for warm and crispy.
3) Remove from air fryer and eat immediately.
It depends on what your goal is. I typically prefer 6-8” corn tortillas if using two corn tortillas. If you’re using one flour tortilla to fold in half like a moon, use a larger burrito sized tortilla.
What to Serve with Air Fryer Quesadillas
the Best Air Fryer Quesadilla
- Air Fryer
- 3-4 Toothpicks
- Air Fryer Rack
- 4 Corn Tortillas (or flour if not gluten free)
- 1 Cup Shredded Cheese
Chili Lime Seasoning
- ½ TSP Chili Powder
- ¼ TSP Salt
- 1 Lime zested
- Preheat your air fryer for 3-minutes at 350ºF.
- Spray neutral oil on one side of the tortilla. Place that tortilla oil side down in the air fryer.
- Add the cheese on top of the tortilla.
- Spray neutral oil on one side of the second corn tortilla. Place that tortilla oil side up on top of the cheese.
- Skewer the toothpicks evenly around the tortilla towards the edge. The toothpicks should go halfway through the tortillas so they stick out a little. (This will be what holds the quesadilla together.)
- Add the air fryer rack upside down on top of the quesadilla.
- For a Soft Quesadilla: Air fry the quesadilla for 3-minutes on 350ºF. Remove with tongs and cut in half and eat immediately.
- For a Crispy Quesadilla: Air fry the quesadilla for 3-minutes at 350ºF. Remove the basket, flip the quesadilla, place the air fryer basket on top, and air fry an additional 3-minutes at 350ºF. Remove immediately with tongs, cut in half and eat immediately.
- Repeat steps 2-7 for the second quesadilla.