I have been wanting to make everything salted caramel for weeks, but every single time I go to the store I see the $8+ dollar price tag on the pre-made bottles. I finally bit the bullet and decided to do the only rational thing… make my own vegan salted caramel!
This dairy-free, vegan salted caramel is way easier to make than I first expected! I’ve never made it before and usually just decided to not deal with the what seemed like hassle of making caramel. Every food TV show I’d watch made it seem like it was so impossible to make! Guess what?! IT’S EASY!! It’s only four-ingredients and you literally just bring to a boil, stir, simmer, stir, simmer, stir, add vanilla extract. I’m not lying!
I’ve never been a huge fan of super sweet anything, but I am a huge fan of salted caramel. I’m not sure if it’s the creaminess or the saltiness that makes me feel like it’s more savory, but I am a huge fan. Even though I almost never have ice cream, caramel is a necessity for my sundaes, but I really made this to use for some cocktails and hot Fall/Winter drinks!
Do you say KARR-uh-mel, KARR-uh-muhl, or KAR-muhl?
INGREDIENTS for ~1 Cup Vegan Salted Caramel
1 Can Coconut Cream
½ Cup Coconut Sugar
½ TSP Sea Salt (I use Pink Himalayan Sea Salt)
1 TSP Vanilla Extract
- Put sugar, coconut cream and sea salt in a small pot.
- With temperature at medium-high heat, bring to a boil, mixing frequently.
- Once at a boil, immediately bring to a simmer. (If it boils too much it could boil over).
- Simmer for 30-minutes, stirring occasionally, making sure to bring the browned bits from the sides into the pot. After 30-minutes, the vegan salted caramel should stick to the back of the spoon.
- At the end of the 30-minutes, take the vegan salted caramel off of the heat and add the vanilla extract. Stir together.
- Pour into a air-tight container or mason jar. Vegan salted caramel will last for ~7 days in the fridge!
Want some ideas for using Vegan Salted Caramel?
- Pour on top of hot chocolate
- For an ice cream sundae
- To make a sweet cocktail