Okay, I know it’s officially Fall, BUT in Los Angeles it may as well still be July with this heat! With no central AC (yes that’s normal here weirdly!) I’ve been trying to use the stove/oven as little as possible. I decided to try a cucumber salad and it instantly became my favorite side dish! This easy Asian cucumber salad has minimal ingredients, is quick to make, and can be made in advance for busy days. It would also be great for gatherings!
A good rice wine vinegar really makes the difference. My favorite is an Organic Rice Wine Vinegar from Marukan. If you don’t have rice wine vinegar and really don’t want to buy any (totally get it, I hate having bottles of random ingredients I use only once!), a good replacement is Apple Cider Vinegar.
I made this easy Asian cucumber salad as a side dish for Zestful Kitchen’s Beef Bulgogi recipe and can say with some kimchi, it was the perfect meal. It would also be delicious with marinated salmon, teriyaki shrimp or chicken, or as a side dish for a beautiful buffet!
1 Large English Cucumber (thinly sliced)
¼ Cup Rice Wine Vinegar
1 TBSP Sesame Oil
1 TBSP Honey
¼ TSP Red Pepper Flakes (I add more for more spice :) )
1 TSP Sesame Seeds
- Slice the cucumber thinly (thinner the better, you can even use a mandolin!).
- Mix together the sauce of: rice wine vinegar, sesame oil, honey, and red pepper flakes.
- Place cucumber slices in a bowl – the wider and flatter the bowl, the better, so that each piece can soak up the sauce.
- Pour the sauce over the cucumber and mix together gently. Add a pinch of salt.
- Place in fridge for 20-minutes. (If making in advance, just put the sauce and cucumbers separately until about 20-30 minutes prior to eating.
- Mix again right before eating, sprinkle sesame seeds on top and enjoy!