This Orange & Cranberry Gin & Tonic has the best flavors of the Fall and Winter: aromatic warming spices of cinnamon and cloves, fresh orange zest, and the brightness of cranberries. This takes a traditional gin & tonic to the next level!
To be extremely truthful, I used to not like Gin & Tonics! Mostly, I think that it was because I could never figure out the right balance. With only two ingredients in the traditional gin and tonic, I thought how hard could it be?! It’s taken me a few years to really appreciate the taste of gin – I was always the person that leaned vodka over anything else. However, a G&T is a really refreshing and simple drink to make for a night in, a night out, or entertaining.
MAKING A GIN and TONIC
The ratios in a gin & tonic are SUPER important. Because the ingredients are limited, you really need to find what works for you. I personally don’t like to do equal parts gin : tonic because I find it too strong, however, many people enjoy that balance. What works for me is 2 OZ gin to 3 OZ tonic water, but most will recommend 1:1 up to 1:3 ratio. I recommend trying to find the balance that works for you, but it definitely depends on: strength and quality of your gin, and the taste of your tonic.
Gin & Tonic Garnishes
A typical gin and tonic is usually served in a highball glass with plenty ice. The ice is integral to the recipe to cool the gin, making the alcohol diluted and not as harsh. Traditionally a G&T is garnished with a lime wedge (or lemon wedge on occasion). It is common to add a variety of garnishes that enhance the common botanical gin ingredients: juniper berries, peppercorns or black peppercorns, lavender, rosemary, and spices like star anise or cinnamon sticks.
For this Orange & Cranberry Gin & Tonic, I skipped the lime and added a small orange wedge and cinnamon stick to enhance the flavors of the gin and simple syrup.
ESSENTIALS FOR THIS ORANGE & CRANBERRY GIN and TONIC
- GOOD GIN – You’re really not mixing a lot of ingredients in this one. A quality gin is the only way to go.
- YOUR FAVE TONIC WATER – Well, I mean this is obvious for a gin & TONIC. If you don’t have a favorite, Regatta Craft Mixers or Canada Dry or Fever Tree are good options, but any store-brand kind you can find is fine!
- SPICED ORANGE & CRANBERRY SIMPLE SYRUP – This simple syrup is so easy to make and REALLY enhances all of the best Fall/Winter flavors into one. It can be used for so many drinks (alcoholic and non-) too! There’s fresh orange zest, fresh cranberries, warming spices, sugar and water! Learn how to make it here.
YOU MAY ALSO LIKE
- HOMEMADE ALL-NATURAL CRANBERRY SODA
- SPICED ORANGE & CRANBERRY WINTER APEROL SPRITZ
- HONEY LEMON GINGER GIN & PROSECCO COCKTAIL
INGREDIENTS FOR 1 ORANGE & CRANBERRY GIN & TONIC
2 OZ Gin
3 OZ Tonic Water
- Pour spiced orange & cranberry simple syrup in an old-fashioned (short) glass filled with ice. Stir.
- Top with tonic water.