These Gluten-Free Ginger & Scallion Meatballs are a fun way to spruce up your regular spaghetti & meatballs ~ Asian style! The meatballs can be prepared multiple ways or even frozen for meal prep!
For the meatballs I used a gluten-free panic breadcrumb. You could also stick some gluten-free bread slices in the oven to dry them out and pulverize in the blender or a food processor. The meatballs are then poached in a delicious & light Ginger-Scallion Broth so that they are extremely tender and soaked in flavor. If you’re not a fan of broth or are making these in bulk, you can easily use the oven instead. I added these meatballs to a dish of noodles and broth for a bowl of flavor-packed comfort!
For Gluten-Free Ginger & Scallion Meatballs
16 Oz. Ground Beef (I use 95% lean as a preference)
½ Cup Gluten Free Panko
1 Large Egg
2 Scallions (chopped)
1-Inch Piece of Ginger (minced)
1 Clove Garlic (minced)
1 TBSP. Coconut Aminos or Tamari (if not Gluten-Free, you can use soy sauce)
8 Cups Ginger-Scallion Broth (Learn how to make it here! If you’re short on time or just don’t want to put in the effort, you can alternatively try Trader Joe’s Miso-Ginger Broth, or plain Chicken/Veggie Stock)
- Gently mix together all ingredients (except broth) in a Medium bowl. Don’t mash the ingredients, you want the ingredients to just barely come together. (Over-mixing means mushy meatballs!)
- Touching the meatballs as little and as carefully as possible, roll the material into a 1″ around ball. (Honestly, if you prefer smaller meatballs that is totally okay too! Just adjust the time cooking them to about half the amount.)
- Put the meatballs on a plate or in a bowl, and place in the fridge covered with plastic wrap for about 20-minutes. (If you want to make in bulk, you can also freeze them!)
- When your meatballs have been in the fridge for about 10-minutes, start to simmer your broth. If you’re making my Ginger-Scallion Broth, I just start the broth a few minutes before making my meatballs so the flavors could come together and simmer for when I took the meatballs out of the fridge.
- Take meatballs out of the fridge and gently place into the broth.
- Cook at a simmer for 10-15 minutes, until the meat is tender and cooked all the way through.
- Enjoy the meatballs over rice or noodles with or without the broth!
IF USING OVEN:
- Preheat the oven to 425ºF when the meatballs have been in the fridge for 10-minutes.
- Place the meatballs on a greased or parchment lined baking tray.
- Cook for 15-20 minutes, until the meatballs are cooked all the way through. I usually flip my meatballs mid-way to make sure both sides are browned!
- Enjoy over rice or with noodles!